Houston Swing Dance Society (HSDS) is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment for everyone regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of anyone in any form. We want to ensure the ballroom is an environment where people feel free from coercion, bigotry, discrimination, and bullying.
- HSDS is an alcohol-free and drug-free environment. Anyone found to be intoxicated or under the influence of any substance will be asked to leave*.
- Anyone found carrying firearms or any other weapons will be asked to leave*.
- HSDS is not a pick-up venue. Anyone found to making unsolicited advances will be asked to leave*.
- Sexual harassment, physical abuse/assault, psychological abuse, or any other form of abusive behavior will not be tolerated. Anyone found to exhibit this behavior will be asked to leave and may lead to temporary or permanent expulsion*.
- Misogynic, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or any other form of discriminatory language will not be tolerated. Anyone found to exhibit this language will be asked to leave and may lead to temporary or permanent expulsion*.
- Anyone found to exhibit boisterous, loud "fighting" words, abusive behavior, or reckless dancing will be given a warning and may lead to temporary expulsion or permanent expulsion*.
- Unless you are asked for feedback, do not offer unsolicited advice to other people.
- Other than in a jam circle (with a trusted partner) or performances, aerials are not allowed on the dance floor.
- HSDS is an inclusive organization, in which each member is as valuable as others. We ask that everyone respectfully share the space and treat others with dignity.
* = upon uncooperative behavior, this may escalate to involving the police officers on premises and could lead to arrest, if necessary
A Few Tips
- Please be considerate. Use floor craft and apologize if you bump into another person while dancing.
- Dress comfortably. Bring extra shirts or a change of clothes if you wish.
- You do not need special shoes in our ballroom but many people wear dressier shoes with leather or soft bottoms, flat sneaker type shoes, or low heels. Additionally, many dancers suede the soles of their shoes.
- Having a reusable water bottle is highly encouraged. We provide drinking water during all of our dances.
- Lindy hop is usually a partnered dance. Since partners are close to each other while dancing, good hygiene is highly encouraged.
- It is always a good practice to ask others how they wish to be addressed/treated.
- Ask politely, “Would you like to dance?” If your request is declined, do not take it personal and respect the other person’s choice.
- In cases where you wish to decline a dance, be polite and simply say, "No, thank you." You do not have to dance with people who you do not wish to or do not feel comfortable dancing with.
- When HSDS rents a venue that allows alcohol, we ask that it remains in the public areas of the space and not in HSDS’s private room. Please drink responsibly.